Bulimia nervosa is an eating disorder that consists of episodes of excessive food intake alternating with periods of purging and/or restricting. People who have bulimia may be of normal weight, or they may be underweight or overweight. Individuals with this psychiatric disorder struggle with ‘binge eating’ which is characterized by eating an amount of food that is larger than what most people would eat in a discreet period of time. This is often accompanied by distress and a lack of control. The individual engages in compensatory behaviors that include self-induced vomiting, use of laxatives, diuretics or enemas, fasting, excessive exercise or short periods of strict diets. As with anorexia nervosa, body shape and weight are the predominant measures of self-worth that drive the disordered eating behaviors.
Common Signs of Bulimia Nervosa:
- Eating excessive amounts of food often hidden from others
- Fasting, skipping meals, eating very little
- Going to the bathroom after eating
- Creation of lifestyle schedules or rituals to make time for binge-and-purge sessions
- Withdrawal from friends and activities
- Impulsivity (i.e. excessive spending on food and other items, drugs/alcohol, shoplifting, reckless behaviors)
- Obsessive exercise even when sick or injured
- Feeling fatigued, lightheaded, dizzy
- Dental problems (loss of enamel and sensitivity)
Bulimia Treatment at Marin Vista Health and Wellness is provided by a multidisciplinary team of eating disorder experts, including licensed psychologists, registered dietitians, and a caring support staff. Individuals struggling with bulimia can be difficult to spot because they often hide their binge eating and purging behaviors. Individuals with eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of all mental health disorders. If you or someone you know may be suffering from bulimia or some other type of eating disorder, don’t hesitate to contact us. We can provide a confidential evaluation and bulimia treatment and recovery plan recommendation at no cost. There is hope, call us today.