Binge eating disorder, like bulimia, is characterized by compulsively taking in large quantities of food at a single sitting. These individuals do not engage in compensatory behaviors such as vomiting, laxative abuse, excessive exercise or fasting. It’s not uncommon for over-eating to become habitual and to function as a coping mechanism for overcoming stress, depression, and other negative feelings. This emotional based eating can lead to very serious medical conditions linked with obesity such as high blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes in extreme cases.
Common Signs of Binge Eating Disorder:
- Eating continuously throughout the day, with no planned mealtimes
- Eating even when you’re full
- Inability to stop eating or control what you’re eating
- Significant weight gain in a short period of time
- Eating in secret when no one is around but eating normally around others
- Disappearance of large amounts of food
- Hiding food
- Going on many different diets
- Avoidance of social situations where food may be present
Binge eating treatment at Marin Vista Health and Wellness is provided by a multidisciplinary team of eating disorder experts, including licensed psychologists, registered dietitians, and a caring support staff. Individuals struggling with an eating disorder have the highest mortality rate of all mental health disorders. If you or someone you know is suffering from binge eating or some other type of eating disorder, don’t hesitate to contact us. We can provide a confidential evaluation and binge eating treatment and recovery plan recommendation at no cost. There is hope, call us today.