Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder characterized by weight obsession, self-starvation, and distortion of body image. People with this psychiatric disorder have an inability to maintain a body weight that is normal for their age and height. They often have severe body image disturbance where body image is the predominant measure of self-worth with a denial of the seriousness of their illness. It’s not uncommon for individuals to use caloric restriction, excessive exercise and other compensatory behaviors to control emotional needs or pain.
Common Signs of Anorexia Nervosa:
- Appears underweight for age and height
- Wears baggy clothing to conceal weight loss and to keep warm
- Skips meals or eats very little
- Hiding food, throwing it out, feeding it to the family dog
- Unusual eating habits (i.e. cuts food in tiny pieces, eats food in a certain order, strange food combinations, spreading food around the plate)
- Intense focus on calorie content of food
- Concern eating in public
- Social withdrawal
- Suddenly becoming vegan or vegetarian to avoid eating certain foods
- Obsessive exercise even when sick or injured
Anorexia Treatment at Marin Vista Health and Wellness is provided by a multidisciplinary team of eating disorder experts, including licensed psychologists, registered dietitians, and a caring support staff. Individuals struggling with anorexia nervosa have the highest mortality rate of any mental health disorder. If you or someone you know may be suffering from anorexia or some other type of eating disorder, don’t hesitate to contact us. We can provide a confidential evaluation and treatment plan recommendation at no cost. Recovery is possible, call us today.